Lodi Gardens – Beautiful Park In Delhi, India
Parks used to be new and modern all over the world but in Delhi, India there is the lush green historical park called Lodi garden which was built by the lodhies who belongs to an Afghan dynasty. They ruled over India for several years and have left historical monuments. It is located on the Lodi road near khan market.
The Lodi garden has been considered as the last spot of the Lodi era which makes it preservation worthy. The garden is spread over 360,000 square meter which includes mosque, Bara Gundband, sheesh Gundband, tomb of skindar Lodi, and tomb of Muhammad shah. All the monuments in the garden have their own story and history. The tomb of Muhammad shah was built in 1444 which is the oldest construction in the Lodi garden.
The tomb of skindar Lodi was built in 1517 who was the last ruler of the dynasty in India after whom the new era of Mughals started. During the Mughal period the garden had been used as a library and a keep for the administrative records. After the Mughals the garden was occupied by the queen of the Governor General of India during the British rule and because of which in 1936 it had been given the name of Lady Willingdon Park which later on changed into Lodi garden.
In 1968 a glass house had been added in the garden which works as an entrance. In the present time the Lodi garden is under the control of Indian government, Archeological survey of India. Few years ago a booklet was added to the garden which used to give the information about the garden and the internal monuments. The restoration work of the Lodi garden began in 2009 whose only first phase brought a cost of 1 crore Indian rupees. Now the Lodi garden is a beautiful place for a morning walk and a wonderful picnic spot.